blog

BookLikes

World's #1 Blog Platform designed for book bloggers, reviewers, writers - all Book Lovers. Your Reading Life. Redesigned.

Debut: Author Interview with Nikki Mays & "Surrender to you" Romance Giveaway

Hello and welcome to BookLikes blog. Today we have a real pleasure to talk to a debut author whose first novel is out in July. If you love romance books and looking for new reads to your TBR pile, keep on reading! :)

Nikki also agreed to give away an e-book copy of her debut novel. Read more and REQUEST HERE

Surrender to You by Nikki Mays

Surrender to You - Nikki Mays

E-BOOK GIVEAWAY

JULY 10 - JULY 18, 2018

"The day that I saw you was the day that other women stopped existing for me. You were all that I thought about and still are."

A quirky coffee shop owner finally lands the SWAT office who leaves her hypnotized. Unfortunately, not everyone is happy for them. Someone is willing to go to great lengths to keep them apart, including murder.

REQUEST ->

(for Kindle users only)

Let's get you introduced to everyone, shall we? Tell us your name.

Hi everyone, my name is Nikki Mays.

Where are you from?

I live in a small town in New Jersey, about fifteen minutes from Princeton University.

A little about yourself (i.e.,  your education, family life, etc.).

I am a stay at home mother of three rambunctious boys, who I lovingly refer to as my little hellions. My husband and I just celebrated our 8th wedding anniversary but have been together for well over a decade. When I'm not writing or trying to keep my tiny humans alive, I love to cook and bake.

Tell us your latest publishing news.

I currently have Surrender to You out and am working on finishing up the second book in the series. I'm hoping to have it out around September but probably later.

When and why did you begin writing?

I started writing a few years ago. I woke up one day and was just tired of only being "mommy". I needed something that was just for me and loved being able to hop into a different life when I needed a break. Or when I started to consider selling my kids on Etsy after a long day of tantrums.

When did you first consider yourself a writer?

I've actually always loved to write. Even in school when everyone would groan over an essay assignment, I would smile to myself. It always came a lot easier than having actual conversations with people. You can change things on paper to make anything sound amazing...not so much in real life.

READ MORE & REQUEST ->

(for Kindle users only)

What inspired you to write your first book?

It was a quote by Toni Morrison actually. The quote is:

"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it."

It just seemed like really good advice.

How did you come up with the title for your latest novel?

Michelle from Kingston Publishing Company helped me come up with it. We brainstormed and liked Surrender to You the best.

Do you have a specific writing style? Is there anything about your style or genre that you find particularly challenging?

I'm not sure that I have a specific writing style. I do like to make my female leads quirky. I also want them to have their own mind. No one likes a doormat. The thing that I find somewhat challenging is writing love scenes. I keep questioning whether I should add more or less. In the back of my mind I'm always like: "Crap. What if mom and dad  read this and start thinking that Billy (my husband) I have some weird sex life."

How much of the book is realistic and are experiences based on someone you know, or events in your own life?

I think that the relationships in the book are very realistic. I feel like these would be people that I would really want in my life. I am also addicted to coffee and would actually love to own my own bakery/coffee shop.

Of all your characters, which one is your favorite? Why?

Mellie is definitely my favorite character. She is so awkward at times that she would make me cringe. But then she also has this kick butt side of her, that I feel males her a great female lead. I think that a lot of women can relate to her very well. Her relationship and banter with her brother makes my day when I write them together in a scene.

What is your favorite book of all time?

The Wall of Winnipeg and Me - Mariana ZapataThat's really tough! There are so many amazing books in this world. But if I had to pick one that I have read several times, I would have to say, The Wall of Winnipeg and Me By Mariana Zapata. I adore all of her books but Aiden Graves will probably always be my favorite book boyfriend.

To craft your works, do you have to travel? Before or during the process?

Not really. With three small boys it's hard to even get to the store. But my husband will try to give me one day a week to sneak out to a café for a few hours. Those tend to be the most productive.

Who designed the covers?

Crystal Green at Kingston Publishing.

Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp?

Just that an awkward introvert can get the hunk. I'm kidding...a little. I like to try to make the relationships as real as possible. I know some women want the fantasy but I'm a realist. Even if you get the man of your dreams, it's not always going to be smooth sailing. Some days you might adore them, while others you're wondering how difficult it is to dig a hole. I also like having a woman who knows her worth. A girl who can talk smack while hanging with the guys.

Are there any new authors that have grasped your interest?  Who is your favorite writer, and what is it about their work that really strikes you?

As I said, I love Mariana Zapata. I love her build up and how it's not insta-love. My second favorite would be Bijou Hunter. I crack up reading her books! Junkyard Dog had me laughing so much my husband kept giving me weird looks.

Outside of family members, name one entity that supported your commitment to become a published author.

Author MA Foster has been supportive of me from the beginning. She was one of the first writer friends that I have made. I appreciate her support so much!

Would you please recommend three titles for a holiday break?

I would say the Billionaire Boys Club by Jessica Clare. There's more then three books in the series, but they are perfect! Especially this time of year when you want to be at the beach on a fabulous island but can't. You get to pretend you're Bronte on a tropical island with a handsome stranger. I think that this series is the perfect getaway.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR:

Nikki Mays is a wife and mother, who lives in a small town in New Jersey. She has been with her husband for close to a decade. She began writing as a creative outlet after becoming a stay at home mom. She decided that she needed something exclusively for herself, not just being mommy. She has two crazy boxers who are way too loving towards the children that use them as horses. She is addicted to coffee and chocolate. She considers coffee, chocolate and naps to be a perfect trifecta. Besides writing and spending time with her little hellions, she enjoys cooking/baking. She has recently taken up gardening and made her loving husband plant her a mini fruit tree orchard.

Social Media Links: